Carnegie Steel 0-4-0T Saddletank No. 14
 
Specifications
Builder: H. K. Porter - Pittsburgh, PA
Built: April 1897
Serial: #1726
Wheel Arrangement: 0-4-0T
Driver Diameter: 31"
Cylinder bore x stroke: 12" x 16"
Boiler Pressure: 165 psi
Pulling Power: 11,800 lbs. tractive effort
Engine Weight: 23.5 tons
Fuel: Oil
Status: Non-operational
 
This locomotive was constructed by H.K. Porter (serial number 1726) in Pittsburgh during April 1897 as No.14 for the Carnegie Steel plant in Cochran, Pa.  Later, it was transferred to U.S. Steel in Duquesne as that mill’s No.727.  It is believed that its small-but-mighty tender was constructed and added to the 0-4-0T during its duties in Duquesne.  When retired from active duty, this privately-owned 0-4-0T was displayed at the Station Square complex in downtown Pittsburgh.  Two decades later when that business closed in 1978, Fred W. Oakie, a retired executive with the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railway, donated this locomotive to the Borough of Sewickley, Pa.  Nicknamed Tom Thumb, this tiny engine was enshrined outdoors in Riverside Park along with its small locomotive tender and a 4-wheel bobber caboose.
 
Twenty-five years later the rusty little locomotive posed a potential problem of minor cuts and scratches for children playing on and around it, so the Borough of Sewickley decided to find a new home for its Tom Thumb.  The Borough did not want this railroad rolling stock to be scrapped, and desired for it to be maintained for historical and cultural preservation.  Potential buyers had to agree to purchase all of the railroad equipment, with a collateral promise that nothing would be used for scrap material.  Several offers were received, and on November 15, 2013, it was announced that the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek, Ohio, had tendered the highest bid and offered the best future for these tired railroad relics.
 
Concurrent with placing of Age of Steam Roundhouse’s bid, chief mechanical officer Tim Sposato contacted the crane operator company that had unloaded the loco and caboose in the park a quarter-century earlier. Not only were they still in business, but were available for hire to help us load the forlorn lokie and caboose onto heavy trucks owned and operated by Zemba Brothers of Zanesville, Ohio, a company that had helped us construct the Age of Steam Roundhouse. During a beautiful day on November 20, 2013, the 47,000-pound 0-4-0T was lifted from its display track and loaded onto a lowboy trailer, bound for Ohio. This little lokie has been needle-scaled, repainted and is displayed inside Age of Steam Roundhouse.
 
Because such 0-4-0T locomotives carried their water supply in a tank draped like a saddle over the top of their boilers, they almost always had no separate tenders to hold fuel and water (coal or fuel oil was carried in compartments located at the rear of the engines’ cabs).  Interestingly, this 0-4-0T’s tender has no water cistern, just a large open bin for the fuel.  Upon inspection by Tim, our newly acquired 0-4-0T also has no grates or ashpans, leading him to believe that this little lokie had been converted to burn oil, which was carried in some sort of tank located inside the tender’s otherwise open bin.